Stop Fires Before They Start!
Watch this short video from the American Red Cross and view the list below to make sure you are taking the steps necessary to prevent a fire from ever begining in your home.
11 Tips To Preventing A Fire
1. Make sure you create 3 Feet between items that generate heat and anything that could catch fire.
2. Turn off space heaters when not in use.
3. Avoid smoking in bed.
4. Don’t leave lit candles burning unattended or at bedtime.
5. Keep matches & lighters out of children’s reach. Ensure they know not to play with these objects
6. Make sure your smoke alarms are working on every level of your home.
7. Make sure you have smoke alarms inside and outside of areas where you & your family members sleep.
8. Test your smoke detectors once per month.
9. Replace smoke detectors that are more than 10 years old.
10. Discuss & PRACTICE your home evacuation plan with your family every 2 years.
11. Make sure everyone in your family can escape your home safely in under 2 minutes.
More Fire Prevention Tips & Resources
If a fire has started:
1. Do not open a warm door.
2. Stay low.
3. Follow your family’s escape plan.
4. DO NOT go back into your home.
5. Get out & call 9-1-1.